Sunday, July 8, 2007

Low Tech. is cool too!

Most of this course has, so far, focused on high tech, digital simulations and games, but, despite being a computer programmer by (former) profession, I'm almost more interested in the low tech options available.

For example, ropes courses are a fantastic and exceptionally effective tool — and I say that as a former ropes course director. One of the best experiences is having a bunch of campers come to me in the morning and leave in the afternoon as a cohesive group. I was really able to see the change in the group and it was significant each and every time!

The big draw for them was usually the high elements (forty foot traverses, rock walls, suicide rappells, etc.) because they were sort of more glamorous, but my favorites were the ground elements. The ones where you have a suspended tire and have to get all your students through it or something similar. The leadership they elicit is nice to see, but what I loved was how it truly gives everyone an opportunity to shine because you need a story and strong role-play component as well. I've had students project a concert hall filled with screaming fans and dangling electric cables onto a piece of rope and a tire. And it gives campers the opportunity to role-play as well and to shine and show off skills of all kinds.

After the experience of that summer, I seriously considered doing that sort of corporate training, but it's too much of a pain to drum up business…

As an teacher I've tried to implement some of these techniques wherever possible and when I've been able to, it really engages the students.

No comments: