Monday, February 23, 2009

Mark on Esryel & Spector 2002

Just a quick note on Eseryel and Spector 2002 (I realized I hadn't posted on this yet). The main thing I was thinking about was based on the (p8): "Causal influence diagrams (CID) were compared between novice and expert to assess level of understanding of novice." It seems the more "expert diagrams" you can get, the closer you can get to some "ethereal perfect diagram" with which to compare novice diagrams. In other words, for biology, I would need some database (online repository) where faculty contribute their understanding. Some online software could automatically compare novice diagrams to this ever-growing (hidden) database of expert CIDs.

The first step, then, is training biology faculty on causal diagrams! I'm not sure I could get any interested in this!! There are certainly some more interested in education, and I think I could get those....but some sort of incentive would still be nice (recognition? count as a peer-reviewed pub or review?)

No comments: