Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Marketing Perspective on Edutainment and SL

Slump in edutainment / game sales is said to be leading game makers to add back more of the video game sizzle experience - what impact will this have on the learning content? Can you really make an educational game that is profitable AND teaches the players something?

A marketeer's thoughts on how to swoop in on SL for marketing - for the value just the appearance of knowing what's going on in SL... but with a wise comment about the hype versus the reality of SL community numbers


I find it interesting that I had not heard of this SL phenom before I took this course, and now, when I look hard enough, everyone is saying how big this is... and how used it is, and what potential it has... and it's interesting that it got mainstream media coverage in BusinessWeek... it's going to affect us, but how much and for how long is my question... as technologies change rapidly per Moore, how much further out are we to the Minority Report full-body and mind VR and immersion, and how soon will we look back on this SL thing as if we were in the museum looking at a horse and buggy...

It's coming....

1 comment:

micah_gideon said...

Honestly, I think that much of the hype is just that. It has potential, yes, but I don't see any true killer apps in there yet.

Of course, that doesn't mean I would periodically check in to see if it's arrived yet…