Friday, June 22, 2007

OK, mark one for the adult column...

Today, while chatting with other dog owners in the park (there had to have been 15 dogs, mostly labs, all dripping wet from churning up the creek), I spoke with an adult trainer - he's a 6 Sigma Blackbelt, trains people in SPC (statistical process control), and other 6Sigma concepts / skills / knowledge.

I asked him, do you ever use simulations in class? He said, "No, not yet." But he expressed interest in a couple of applications for the statistical analysis stuff. He also said he's used games with much success (based on verbal and written feedback from adult students) after using games - from MIT, developed in house at Kodak, etc. He told me that his class participants love the hands-on experience of manipulating information and scenarios to understand and explore how systems change / respond to changes, and how to envision and augment mental models about mathematics, stats, calculations, etc.

I am fully convinced, that computer visualization / simulation / and graphical representation of logical and theoretical concepts is a winner for adults and for kids. I am also convinced that people like the games and virtual hands-on when applying new learning / knowledge / skills using some interactive system - and that includes computer games, roleplays, etc.

So, I am more compelled to find ways to use these two models with different age-group learners to add practice and exploratory modeling and cause-effect visualization, and to add a little fun and interest / motivation generators in a class, as one element in an instructional design / delivery agenda.

Now, the question remains, how to get the software / games, how to evaluate those games for applicability to the class, determine the what levels of what prior knowledge and skills are required to make them more used than confused, and when in a sequence of instruction / learning to apply them.

I like the idea of using them to gain interest as a demonstration by the teacher / facilitator first, setting of expectations for when games and sims will be made available to the students, and how they can prepare to use them effectively to reduce any computer skills or knowledge anxieties.

Now, I suppose I should entertain the questions about how to use SL (if it seems appropriate for the audience and objectives of the instruction - and yes, I believe there should be objectives... not inflexible, not just test-prep, but defined expectations to work from / customize with the class) as an exploratory and presentation environment in which I can perhaps generate interest, time on task, etc. by using it.

I would also like to work with a serious user of SL to watch how they would go about organizing, prepping, scripting, and administrating an instructional event for SL - and in the delivery, rely on a learner or learners to help direct the presentation of information / imagery / etc. to make it most appealing. I really believe strongly in involving students in the learning process and delivery (age 10 and up though) - it's not just for androgogy anymore.

I would also like to work with students to assess motivation levels for the class in a way that can be measured before, during and after the instruction using alternative media.

I'm going soft, I know... but I am learnable I guess...

tc

No comments: