Sunday, June 3, 2007

Scratch that!

I already posted this to Blackboard, but I think this is a much better and more accessible location, so I'm going to recommend that y'all take a look a t this fantastic programming language/ide developed over at MIT called Scratch. I haven't read much about it yet, but I have played with it and it's got a lot of potential. It is designed for children today - a target audience that can grasp complex tasks, but probably don't want to spend a lot of time memorizing obscure commands. So you get pallets of commands and options and when you drag them out, they clearly indicate what you can do with them and how you can use them.

If any of you ever had an interest in programming, but were intimidated by the complexity and learning curve - try this out!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Wow! This is a great resource for helping young children learn about basic programming concepts. I didn't read a lot about it at the site, but I did visit the educator forums briefly, and one poster provided a link to tutorials on how to use Scratch that were created by 5th and 6th graders. I checked out one of these and though I didn't get the sound for some reason, it was clear that these kids understood what they were doing. I plan to download it at some point and play with it a bit. Thanks for sharing this.